The Challan system of payment has been in use for a long time, event today when digital payment has become a prevalent system, the use of challan is continued.
It is primarily used by the Government, semi-government, PSUs, Education Institutes, or Hospitals. You can consider traffic fines or tickets as a challan system of payment.
The challan system includes three parties- Payee, the receiver, and the issuer (mediator). The payee pays the challan, the receiver receives the challan, and the issuer or mediator facilitates the process.
State Bank of India for the majority of the time acts as a mediator as the bank has the widest outreach in India with the highest number of bank branches.
SBI challan payment system offers both online and offline payment. The bank has a specialized web portal using which you can do online challan payments.
In this column, we will discuss How to Pay SBI Challan using Online & Offline methods.
How to Pay SBI Challan online?
SBI has a dedicated online portal SBI Collect that handles challan payment. The following are the step by step instructions on how to pay SBI challan online-
- Visit the official website of SBI collect by following this link- https://www.onlinesbi.com/sbicollect/icollecthome.htm
- You’ll be prompted with a disclaimer message, click on the proceed button after ticking on the checkbox
- Now, select the state where the institution is located for which you are liable to pay, if it is a central government institution then select All India
- On the next dropdown, select the type of institution you want to make payment like school, hospital, government, PSUs, etc. followed by clicking on the Go button
- A dedicated challan payment page of that institution will appear with many fields, you have to fill those fields with correct information and click on the submit button followed by Confirm
- Now, you have to pay the challan amount for which you have three options- Net Banking, Debit Card or Credit Card
- You can choose any of the payment methods and proceed with the usual online payment and complete the payment
- After payment is successful, you’ll receive a payment confirmation receipt which you have to keep safe by taking a printout and presenting the receipt to the organization you are liable to pay as a payment proof
How to Pay SBI Challan offline?
You can also pay SBI Challan offline by visiting the nearest SBI CBS bank branch and submitting the challan receipt that the institution had sent you.
The bank representative would review the challan and insert the challan data into his/her system. After the system processes the challan, you pay the challan amount to the representative.
After payment is successful, the bank representative will return your challan with the bank stamp and his/her signature
Keep the paid SBI Challan safe and show it to the institution you are liable to pay to confirm your payment.
Yes, SBI Collect is institution independent, if you have net banking or credit/debit card of other banks, you can still pay the challan.
Sometimes due to technical glitches, the payment gets failed and the account gets debited with the amount. In this case, you do not worry as the payment will be refunded by the banking system back to your account with 48 hours.
Yes, you can pay challan through a Debit card. Also, you can use Net Banking and Credit Card as a valid payment medium for SBI Bank challan payments.
Yes, you can pay challan through cash but, using the offline method only. You have to visit your nearest SBI Bank Branch and submit the payment receipt to the bank representative along with the cash amount. The bank representative will process your challan and you’ll get stamped and signed payment receipt back.