How to Surrender Duplicate PAN Card?

PAN Card is a curtail document that is required for almost every big financial transaction whether it is taking loans from banks or its opening a bank account. PAN Card has a unique 10 Digit number specifically calculated for the individual using a formula. This unique number remains the same for the person throughout his/her life. PAN Card is allotted by the NSDL or UTIITSL, an authority assigned by the Income Tax Department for providing PAN Card related services.

If you have more than one PAN Card in your name then keeping the two PAN Card is illegal and is a punishable offense. A fine of Rs.10,000/- will be charged by the Income Tax Authority for this offense. Income Tax Department provides you with the option to surrender the PAN Card. Surrendering the PAN Card will not be fined. In this article, we will find out how to surrender the duplicate PAN Card.

Surrender PAN Card Online

You can surrender the PAN Card online using the official website of NSDL or UTIITSL. The process of surrendering the PAN card is as follows-

  • Visit the online portal of the NSDL or UTIITSL.
  • A small form will appear, select the option “Changes or Correction in existing PAN Data/Reprint of PAN Card (No changes in existing PAN Data)” or For UTIITSL website the home has the same option
  • Now a form will appear that you have to fill with right details mention the PAN Card Number in the form that is duplicate
  • Provide the Document Proofs like address, identity, etc.
  • After filling the form click on the Submit button
  • In the case of the NSDL Website, you will be provided with a token number that will be used as a tracking code for future, save the code for future tracking use
  • Upload the document in the PDF or JPG format in the next screen
  • After that review your application and click on the next button
  • Now pay for the PAN services via demand draft, credit card, debit card or internet banking
  • Download the acknowledgment letter and sign it, attach the proof of document and two photographs.
  • Now, prepare it for posting mention on the envelope for Application for PAN Cancellation and send it to the following address-

NSDL Address

NSDL e-Gov at ‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit,
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling,
Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8,
Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk,
Pune – 411 016


For UTIITSL center you can use the PAN Application Centers details form the official website. Here you have to personally visit the center with the application.

Surrender PAN Card Offline

You can also use the offline method to apply for the Duplicate PAN card surrender using the following method-

  • Download the application form and print it
  • Now fill the form and attach the document required and it is important to mention the PAN Card that is duplicate
  • Visit the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL PAN Application Center and submit your form
  • You will be provided with the acknowledgement slip for tracking purpose
  • You also required to send a letter to the Assessing Officer listing the duplicate PAN details and requesting for cancellation
  • You can also submit the form via post or by hand visiting the Assessing Officer office.

Surrender PAN Card in Case of Death

In the case of Person death, the individual family member is required to surrender the PAN Card. A letter to the income tax AO officer for surrendering the PAN Card along with the death certificate and other documents has to be submitted. The process will be the same for surrendering the PAN Card which is mentioned above.